What is a Trojan Horse Virus?
A Trojan horse virus is different from viruses and worms. It is a computer program that impersonates a legitimate program or file. In fact, it contains harmful payload to your endpoint and security system. The Trojan horse virus can't replicate itself unlike viruses. Despite the differences, worms and viruses also uses the Trojan horse tactics to penetrate a user's endpoint. All worms, viruses, and Trojan horse viruses are destructive once they entered an endpoint.
The Trojan horse got its name from a Greek story “The Trojan Horse.” The Greeks created a ginormous wooden horse as a present to appease the Trojans when, in fact, it's actually a secret vessel for Greeks to sneak into the city of Troy. It allowed them to attack and capture Troy.
Is there a Trojan horse on your Endpoint?
Trojan horse programs are hard to recognize. They can imitate any file or program that you wanted on your folders. It can be as cheesy as your heartbreak song or all-time favorite movie. So the best way to determine a Trojan horse virus on your computer is to look for the signs. The following are the signs of a Trojan horse virus infected endpoint:
- Slower PC startup time.
- Slow web browsing.
- You receive pop-up ads on a regular basis.
- A mysterious new toolbar appears on your computer or browser.
- There are new, unfamiliar icons on your system tray.
- Your computer settings have changed and change the settings back.
- Your PC is noticeably slower than before.
How to be Protected against Trojan horse viruses?
Even if it's hard to spot a Trojan horses, there are concrete ways to banish them away from your endpoint system.
- You must secure your computer with an anti-virus software or anti-spyware software. You should also keep them updated always.
- Use a firewall. Firewalls block unwanted connections, which can help prevent Trojan horse viruses.
- You must observe caution when opening email attachments, clicking on unfamiliar links, downloading and installing certain programs from publishers that you don't trust and visiting strange websites as some of these attachments, links, programs or websites could be Trojans that contain viruses.
- Update your security patches for your operating system.
On the Final Note
Anyone can be a victim of Trojan. Not only the profitable businesses, but also the regular endpoint users. They'll exploit you and leave you defenseless. A secured endpoint is the most desirable level of comfort you should get.
In Comodo, we offer Advanced Endpoint protection to many businesses to improve their endpoint security even more. Comodo Advanced Endpoint Protection provides a lightweight, scalable Default Deny Platform with a unique endpoint security approach, which results in complete protection and enterprise visibility. The app based platform eliminates complexity and solution overlap. Provisioned in minutes, Advanced Endpoint Protection also includes unified IT and security management console, that through an app enabled platform reduces the effort of managing your Android, iOS, OSX, Linux, and Windows devices, on every segment of your physical and virtual networks.
If you wish to learn more about the product, just visit our website for more details.
Comodo Antivirus Resources