Knowing how to detect trojan virus on the computer can be a bit challenging because it pretends to be a genuine file in different folders. But here is an effective way to help you with trojan horse detection and removal.
Five Steps for How to Detect Trojan Virus on the Computer
Here are the five steps of how to detect trojan virus on the computer and how to get rid of it.
Step 1. Safe Mode
Detecting the trojan horse on the computer is easier in safe mode because only the minimum applications run. Cybersecurity experts recommend safe mode for to find many different types of malware, such as trojan infections. So, here’s how to detect trojan virus on the computer in safe mode:
- Click on “Start.”
- Type in “MSCONFIG.”
- When the System Configuration box opens, click on “Boot.”
- Tick “Safe Mode.”
- When Windows restarts in safe mode, open the System Configuration box again
- Go to “Startup.”
- Check for any suspicious application. Remember, a trojan horse pretends to be legitimate software. If the application looks unfamiliar and has a suspicious publisher, Google it for more information.
- Once you have confirmed that the software is malicious, disable it.
- Click “Apply,” then “OK.”
- Exit, but don’t restart the computer yet.
Step 2. Task Manager
To ensure that the trojan horse is completely disabled, you must end its process in Task Manager. If you want to see all the active applications on your computer, you will see them in Task Manager.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del.
- Go to the “Processes” tab.
- Look for the same malicious software that you found in Startup.
- Click on it and end the process.
That should have stopped the trojan horse’s activities on the computer. You can now uninstall the malicious software.
Step 3. Programs and Features
In Programs and Features, you will see all the applications installed on your computer. You can uninstall the malicious software that you found in Startup and Task Manager. Here’s how to how to detect trojan virus on the computer via Programs and Features.
- Click on “Start.”
- Select “Control Panel.”
- Go to “Programs and Features.”
- Uninstall the malicious software.
- You can also check for any other unnecessary software that you didn’t install and remove it.
- Exit without restarting the computer.
Step 4. Clearing Temporary Files
Trojan virus removal and detection becomes faster by clearing temporary internet files. The TEMP folder is where malware commonly hides due to its loose security setting. Clearing all the temporary files will not only get rid of the trojan horse immediately, but it will also free up some space on the computer.
- Click on “Start.”
- Type in “%temp%”.
- Clear all the temporary files.
That should have removed the malware residuals from the computer.
Step 5. Malware Scanner
If you want to ensure that your computer is malware free, download a malware scanner. It is an application designed to protect the computer from malware threats such as a trojan horse, ransomware, spyware, keylogger, rootkit, worms, and viruses.
It deeps scans the files that enter your computer to detect malware before it can even infect the file system, so you don’t have to worry about how to detect trojan virus on the computer. It also regularly scans your computer to detect any malicious software hiding in critical folders.
Running a malware scanner is the best way to detect and remove the trojan horse from the computer. Just look for a trusted and effective malware scanner software online. There are different malware scanners available for download, but choose the one that can protect your computer from advanced types of malware.
Check out the best malware scanners here.
Once installed, run the malware scanner. It will show you the threats detected and removed from your computer. You can now restart the computer.
HOW TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM MALWARE INFECTIONS?
Now that your computer is malware free, keep it secure from malware infections with the help of the malware scanner and by taking safety precautions.
- Avoid opening suspicious emails because spear phishing is the leading cause of malware infections.
- Avoid downloading cracked software. Most are bundled with malware.
- Avoid visiting illicit websites. Most of them are malware infected.
- Do not turn off the malware scanner.
- Update your software. Malware exploits system vulnerabilities.
- Update web browser plugins.
A trojan horse infection can spread rapidly throughout your computer, which can be devastating. Fortunately, it is preventable. By taking preventive measures and installing a malware scanner, you can protect your computer from a trojan horse attack, so you don’t have to worry about learning how to detect trojan virus on the computer.